Thursday, February 01, 2007

Welcome Pleo!

Well, we're only two days away from the official Pleo pre-sale.

I've been following this one for quite some time, although originally I (like others) thought Pleo would be a bit less...demanding.

Pleo is a one-week old infant Camarasaurus from the Jurassic period. He has an amazing set of features and astounding mobility -- not quite Asimo, but he doesn't come with a huge price tag, either. Pleo eventually exhibits a unique personality. Or, as the Wired magazine article says:

Be nice to it and it will become mellow and friendly; mistreat it and you will evolve a bitter, annoyed robot.

I don't think it'll do that well in the United States. Americans generally don't want to have to take care of (what essentially is) an expensive toy and have it turn out all messed up if they don't. They should make 2 versions - one that learns (expensive memory card) and one that doesn't.

Still, as an original ERS-110 Aibo owner, I've gotta have one.

Now if only I could plug my iPod into it, and if it could answer my iPhone...

No comments: