Thursday, May 31, 2007

Google Developer Day

I'm at Google Developer Day and have a few random thoughts thus far:

I never knew there were so many people that were so passionate about maps and mapping technologies.

Between today and last week's salesforce.com developer's conference, I've learned that all the "hard" problems to solve of yesteryear should no longer be hard problems -- between the two vendors, good tools now exist for creating offline access, creating and testing mashups online, building AJAX user interfaces, creating hosted applications, and so forth.

Google's sense of design and branding still rock. Is it a coincidence that both Google and Apple believe in the power of a clean white background?

Sergey Brin is still weird. His talk was mostly about how the internet is making babies that now are creating the internet. "Mosaic started in '93, the first dating sites 2 years later. So the first babies from connections made on those dating sites are now 12 -- old enough to create mashups." Uh, yeah.

Is "Wonder Boy" more or less authoritative than "Sr. Director of Product Management"? And in what contexts?

No matter where I go, I can't avoid running into at least one Inxight partner.

And, the most poignant thing I've taken away thus far?

  • "Mapplets" is a really fun word to say.

I'm looking forward to Peter Norvig's talk later today.

No comments: