Thursday, May 03, 2007

What is Business Objects Smoking?

Business Objects' recent efforts to enliven their brand are laudable. While it is rather Dilbert-esque to say "we're not a business intelligence company -- we're in the business of making companies more intelligent", I get what they're saying. I'm sure Marge "Think Liquid" Breya had an uphill battle internally. It's always hard transforming a technology company into a "real" company.

But I'd have to turn in my marketing hat if I didn't point out several things could use some refinement.

First off, when I saw the new website, the first thing that came to my mind is exactly what Valleywag said a day later -- "No Light. No Vision" is not the first thing you want people to associate your brand with.

Also, what's up with the logo's "ball and circa-1999 swoosh" combination? And why does the ball have facets anyway? If you're going to do that, at least animate the facets coming together to make up the whole -- don't just fly the ball in. Have the guts to lose the old swoosh. Lose the ball. And then you have a classic (albeit boring) logo. Then you can start over again.

For a really cool modern logo and marketing, I like Silverlight.

PS - For a fun drinking game, try taking a shot every time someone in the BOBJ video says "bold". Note to companies everywhere: If you have to say you're bold, you're not. And, honestly, I think only we marketing people would "notice the thin line, the spectrum". At least the camera doesn't dodge all around like in those 1990's "edgy" videos.

No comments: